Hola todos! Today is our last PALMA tutorial of the semester, and tomorrow is the PALMA Picnic. Make sure you sign up on Natalie’s spreadsheet (which has been sent over email) for the carpool to the picnic, which starts at 5:30 and goes till around 10pm. (If you don’t receive the emails, contact Josey at email@example.com!)
In other exciting news, Cristhian has designed an awesome new minicourse about PALMA, as a response to our evaluation meeting. In Cristhian’s words:
The main goal of this mini-course is to provide an academic space for discussion, learning and reflection on your experience as a tutor for a first generation Latino migrant. There are many specific situations that can affect your work and the mini-course will provide the space to articulate your concerns and obtain feedback from faculty and peers. At the same time, you will be able to collect and produce important information that can lead to research projects, grants, etc. Here is a short description of the class:
RCIDVI 350-002. Engaging in the Latino community: An opportunity for Experiential Learning in Ann Arbor.
This course is directed to all students interested in developing a closer connection with the Latino community through service learning. The course is based on the work of PALMA a University of Michigan student organization that provides tutoring assistance to the Latino community. Students will review material describing the specific characteristic of the Latino community including its migration history, challenges and current problems faced by its members. In addition, students will acquire pedagogical training to be able to work as tutors. The theoretical part of the mini course will be covered during the first seven weeks of the term and the experiential part will last the entire term (15 weeks).
Discussion: Monday 3-4pm EQ 1512
Tutorials: Tuesday–Thursday 6-7:30
Contact Cristhian at firstname.lastname@example.org for details!
One of PALMA’s very own students, Pamela Quintana-Salazar, a junior at Community High School, is working to change the world! Pamela is a member of Minority Student Achievement Network, or MSAN, a national coalition working on closing the achievement gap between white students and students of color, and between students of high and low socioeconomic statuses. Pamela, a junior at Community High School, is working on bringing a set of strategies to Ann Arbor schools that will encourage minority students to feel more welcome. Pamela was featured in this news article. Great work, Pamela! We are so proud of you for your activism and energy in creating positive social change!
Pamela Quintana-Salazar. Photo credit to Nicole Hester at the Ann Arbor News.
PALMA is cancelled tonight, 2/3/15, due to bad weather conditions on the roads. Enjoy your free evening, and we’ll see you Thursday!
snowy + lovely Ann Arbor
Some exciting things:
1. PALMA Picnic this Saturday, December 6, from 4-10pm! Be on the lookout for emails with location, details, and make sure to fill out the carpooling spreadsheet. Contact Monique (email@example.com) if you have any questions!
2. Last day of PALMA for the semester is this Thursday, December 4.
3. Mass meeting for prospective new tutors for Winter 2015 will be January 13. Returning tutors don’t need to attend this meeting, but if you’re considering joining PALMA for the first time, definitely come!
4. Regular tutorials, for all tutors, will resume January 15.
Woo! So proud & amazed at all of the work you all do. PALMA is such an inspiring space. So lucky to be a part of it.
See you at the picnic. I’ll be the one gorging myself. Can’t wait!
Every year, Cristhian teaches a class in the RC about PALMA. It’s phenomenal, and really enhances the tutoring experience!
A few important dates to remember:
– November 4th is voting day! Although the AADL is a voting site, PALMA will NOT be affected. Voting will happen in the basement; PALMA happens upstairs. So no worries, PALMA is NOT canceled, and we’ll see you there! (Also, don’t forget to vote!!)
– The PALMA Picnic will be Saturday, December 6th, from around 3 or 4pm until 10pm. There will be a DJ. There will be dancing. There will be high-fives. There will be friendship. Most of all, there will be so much food, you won’t even know what to do with yourself. The PALMA Picnic is always the best part of the year. It’ll be a new location this semester, making it even more exciting! Keep your eyes peeled for an email about carpooling there!
– You all are rockstars. Thanks for doing what you do every week, twice a week. PALMA is creating real change in our students’ lives!
Contact anyone on the eboard for questions!
Just a quick reminder: PALMA meets only when UM classes are in session. That means during UM breaks, we don’t have tutorials! Since we are currently in the middle of our two-day fall break (aka extra-homework-study-time), we won’t have PALMA tomorrow. We’ll be back in session on Thursday!
PALMA has been wonderful this semester! What a great bunch of tutors. So grateful to everyone’s big hearts and big minds!
As always, contact anyone on the eboard for questions.